I'm so glad a friend of mine introduced me to this delicious casserole just in time for Easter. Because tasty Ham & Cheese Breakfast Casserole with Spinach is just perfect for that leftover Easter ham!
We all have a friend or two who are amazing cooks, right? ... That person who, when they tell you about a delicious dish they've cooked, you just know it's going to be good. No questions asked. You gather up every one of their recipes you can get your hands on, collecting them and hoarding them like sacred treasures.
Well let me tell ya, this Ham & Cheese Breakfast Casserole with Spinach is one of those sacred treasure recipes from one of my gather-up-her-recipes-amazingly-fabulous-cook friends. When this friend tells me about a dish, there's no doubt I'm going to ask for her recipe. And there's no doubt I'm going to love it when I make it.
But when my friend told me about this Ham & Cheese Breakfast Casserole, I will admit, one ingredient gave me pause ...
Yes ... for just a flash of a moment, I questioned my friend's dish.
Because this breakfast casserole contains something I had never used in a breakfast casserole before ... or any casserole, for that matter ...
Mmmm hmmmm, Ham & Cheese Breakfast Casserole starts out with a layer of Italian-seasoned croutons. Scattered in the bottom of the baking pan, and then layered with ham, spinach, cheeses, and eggs.
The croutons create a really tender, flavorful layer on the bottom of the casserole. And you know what?
It's really good!
Of course it is. Because it's a recipe tried-and-tested by one of my amazing no-questions-asked cook friends. That I should have never questioned ... not even for that tiny flash of a moment.
And now, just like our friendship, this recipe is one of those recipes in my collection that I hold onto like a sacred treasure.
Ham & Cheese Breakfast Casserole with Spinach
Source: My friend Jennie
- 1 (5 oz.) package Italian seasoned croutons
- 2 c. coarsely chopped ham
- 1 (10 oz.) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 2 c. (8 oz. package) shredded Italian-blend cheese
- 1 c. (4 oz.) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 10 eggs
- 1 1/2 c. half & half
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- Lightly spray a 9x13" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Layer ingredients in baking dish in this order: croutons, chopped ham, spinach, and cheeses.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, half & half, salt, pepper, and paprika. Gently pour egg mixture on top of cheeses, distributing evenly over the entire baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees until set and lightly browned, 35 to 40 minutes. Serve immediately.
Please enjoy these other fabulous breakfast casseroles from The Kitchen is My Playground ...