Welcome to The Kitchen is My Playground! I'm so glad you stopped by.
I also love the quest … the quest for great ingredient combinations, for unexpected flavors, for those “wow” recipes, for the best version of a dish or baked good, and especially for that utterance of “oh my goodness” or “yum” from those for whom I cook. I love to know that I have brought the simple pleasure of good food to those I care about. It makes me smile.
v I like easy, but am certainly not afraid of complex.
v I prefer fresh ingredients, but do succumb to the ready availability of canned, frozen, and prepared. (Are there any of us who don’t??)
v I prefer scratch-made, but am not opposed to using a convenience food that makes up or bakes up a tasty treat.
v Baking sweets is my favorite thing, but my hips and backside can’t quite take all the baking I’d like to do, so you’ll find savories here too.
v I lean toward whole grains, but I’m a work in progress with this.
v While I’m not vegetarian, I have no problem with meatless meals. In fact, I love them. My hubby, on the other hand …
v I’m not at all tied to one method, region, ethnic origin, or style of cooking.
1. I grew up in Vermont and moved to North Carolina (where I currently reside) when I was 24.
2. I’ve lived in North Carolina for 17 years now. (Do the math … you now know how old I am! We’ll consider that a bonus random fact.)
3. I am immensely loyal to two Vermont products – pure Vermont maple syrup and Cabot cheese. (I have a special place in my heart for Simon Pearce glass, too.)
4. I’m a choc-a-holic. I go especially crazy over dark chocolate. (For frequent readers … no shocker there!)
5. I love to blow bubbles.
6. I love wine. Boldly oaked Chardonnay, to be exact.
7. I hate snow.
8. I hate the cold.
(Are you starting to understand why I moved South?)
9. I try not to drink any calories. (Well … except for wine … see #6.)
10. I’m proud to say that I’m a cancer survivor (thyroid cancer at age 30 … scary).
11. I cannot be left alone with a bag of potato chips. It’s detrimental. To me and to the chips.
12. I love water. Love to be around and on it. But not in it. Weird, huh?
13. I don’t eat fish. Can’t stand it. Shellfish – yes. ‘Swimmy fish’ – not so much.
14. I’m assistant to my beekeeper husband. We currently have two hives, with plans to expand.
15. I could eat pizza every day. Seriously.
16. Speaking of ‘seriously,’ I’m a Grey’s Anatomy junkie.
17. I love bologna. Don’t judge.
18. I’m terrible at sports. I mean absolutely horrible. We’re not talking just a little bit bad … we’re talking awful.
19. My Mom calls me Miss Grace – for my complete lack of it. I, for one, can hurt myself standing still.
20. I don’t have a favorite color. For clothing – black. But other than that, no colors really stand out for me. When people ask my favorite color, I usually say green. Because it seems weird to say “I don’t have one.” Doesn’t it?
21. I can’t stand to see people spit. Totally grosses me out.
22. There are days I don’t feel like cooking.
23. I’m an introvert. Most people who know me “live” think I’m an extrovert. But I’m not.
24. My idea of camping is a quaint little bed & breakfast, decent hotel, or condo on the beach.
25. I absolutely love, love, love S’mores. Fortunately, you can enjoy them without a campfire (see #24).