Until now, I have always just made your straight-up, regular ol' grilled cheese. I never really thought to change it up much, or thought there could be so many amazing-sounding combinations. Then, I started seeing all these fabulously crazy grilled cheese variations popping up all over blogland.
So, I had to start giving some of these combinations a try. I'm so glad I did.
I started with this Guacamole Grilled Cheese from The Captivating Life. I really didn't know what to expect ... but, hey, ... I love guacamole, and I love grilled cheese. So I was up for the adventure.
Turns out, this combination is really yummy!
First, you mix up a really quick and simple guacamole ... mash together an avocado and some chopped tomato ...
... and then hit it with some fresh lime juice. See, I said it was simple!
Layer the guac with some delicious sharp cheddar cheese on slices of nice sourdough bread. I use Cabot, Vermont sharp cheddar ... it's my favorite. (As a native Vermonter, I use Cabot cheese whenever I can! And, no, Cabot does not pay me to say this.)
Grill it on up, and enjoy! For me, the tang of the fresh lime juice with the sharp cheddar was an unexpectedly wonderful flavor combination.
Look for some more grilled cheese variations coming soon. A new adventure has just been unlocked for me, and I can't wait to keep trying out this new world of grilled cheese!
I invite you to follow The Kitchen is My Playground with Pinterest, Facebook, Google Friend Connect, Linky Followers, bloglovin', or Feedburner. Buttons are in the right sidebar. I'd love to have you back soon!
Guacamole Grilled Cheese
Adapted from The Captivating Life
Makes 3 sandwiches
1 medium to large avocado
1/4 c. chopped tomato
Juice of 1/2 a lime
About 1/4 tsp. salt, or to taste
Dash of pepper, or to taste
4 drops tabasco sauce, or to taste
6 slices good quality bread (I used a crusty sourdough boule from the grocery store bakery)
Sharp cheddar (preferably the block you cut yourself, not pre-sliced ... I used Cabot extra sharp)
Prepare the Guacamole:
1. Mash together the avocado and chopped tomato.
2. Add the lime juice salt, pepper, and Tabasco sauce. Stir to combine. (If you prefer your guacamole smoother, give it a whirl in a food processor.)
Prepare the Sandwich:
3. Butter one side of each of the bread slices. Flip over three slices of bread and spread the unbuttered side generously with guacamole.
4. Cut slices from the block of sharp cheddar and place on top of the guacamole; top with the remaining bread slices, butter side up.
5. Grill in a heated pan, coated with cooking spray or a bit of butter, until golden browned.