This Many-Bean Salad is one of those classic been-around-forever, perfect-for-a-potluck easy recipes. Well, hey ... been-around-forever recipes have been around forever for a reason, right? Because they're GOOD! I love this stuff.
Since this salad is made mainly with canned goods, if you can maneuver a can opener and boil water, you can make this salad. Seriously, who would think a bunch of canned vegetables tossed together would be so tasty? But marinate them for a few hours in a vinegar and sugar-based marinade, and you get a delicious many-bean salad treat.
1. It makes a huge batch, so it's great for serving a crowd.
2. It can be made ahead of time ... it'll stay just fine in the refrigerator for several days.
3. It's easy.
4. People love it.
5. Oh, and did I mention it's easy?
Now, I've got a little personal story to share related to this bean salad. This is one of my husband's absolute favorite foods. Well, at least it used to be. See, he's prone to kidney stones. The other night, shortly after eating a huge bowl of Many-Bean Salad (and I do mean huge ... my husband, though he's a skinny guy, eats a lot), we headed out to the emergency room because he was in severe pain. Sure enough, he was passing a kidney stone. The bean salad had absolutely nothing to do with the kidney stone, but the salad and the pain are now forever associated in his mind. He won't be eating this again any time soon. Oh, and don't even mention stuffed green peppers to him. Let's hope not many more foods get added to his 'list!'
I invite you to follow The Kitchen is My Playground with Pinterest, Facebook, Google Friend Connect, Linky Followers, bloglovin', or Feedburner. Buttons are in the right sidebar. I'd love to have you back soon!
Source: Adapted from my Mother-in-Law
(Note - all cans are the 14 oz. to 16 oz. size)
1 can cut green beans
1 can white or cannelini beans
1 can dark red kidney beans
1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
1 can small young green peas
1 can shoepeg white corn
2 to 3 stalks celery, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 3/4 c. sugar (I have sometimes substituted all or part Splenda)
1 1/4 c. white vinegar
1/4 c. canola oil
2 T. water
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1. Drain all canned items. Rinse white beans, kidney beans, and garbanzo beans. Combine all bean mixture ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Combine all marinade ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Immediately pour over bean mixture. Stir to coat all beans.
3. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight before serving.