I love chocolate chip cookies. I love brownies. So, when I found this idea for Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies, how could I resist? And let me just tell you ~ these are sooo good, you won't be able to resist either.
These scrumptious brownies bring together the best of two worlds ~ my all-time favorite chocolate chip cookies ... and a close-second-favorite classic brownies. It's a combination that just had to be tried. No questions asked.
Well, and just as expected, they are indeed quite tasty! And quite simple, too.
You mix up a batch of brownie batter, put it in the pan, and then drop spoonfuls of chocolate chip cookie dough all over the top so it looks kind of like this:
Anyway - the first batch I made, I followed the original recipe and put on the ganache topping. Don't get me wrong - it's very good this way! But me being me always tinkering with recipes, I wondered how it would be without the ganache topping. Both my husband and I found the topping to be a bit overpowering - kind of taking over the whole taste of the brownie.
We decided I should make another batch without the ganache topping. So, I did. Which has now led to "The Great Ganache Debate" that is still going on at this very moment - Mark is literally still taste-comparing right now as I type this post. The verdict? --- I'm undecided. Sometimes I think I like the non-ganache ("naked") ones best; sometimes I think I like the ganache-topped ones best.
Mark is 100% behind the naked ones.
If you try these, let us know if you have a preference ... ganache or no ganache ... we'll be interested to hear what you think!
We invite you to follow The Kitchen is My Playground with Google+, Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, bloglovin', or subscribe by Email. We'd love to have you back soon!
- 1 box of brownie mix + ingredients listed on the box. (Or, a batch of your favorite brownie batter.)
I found that a 1/2 batch of standard chocolate chip cookie dough batter was the perfect amount. Here are the measurements for a 1/2 batch of dough.
- 1/2 c. (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 c. + 1/8 c. granulated sugar
- 1/4 c. + 1/8 c. packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 1/8 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 c. heavy whipping cream
- 6 T. unsalted butter
- Prepare the Brownie Batter: Prepare the brownie batter, according to the package directions (or according to your favorite brownie's recipe). Place brownie batter in a greased 9x13" pan.
- Prepare the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough: In a large bowl combine butter, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla; beat until creamy. Beat in egg. Combine flour, salt, and baking soda. Gradually add flour mixture to sugar mixture; mix well. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto the brownie batter. Using the palm of your hand, push the cookie dough down into the brownie batter just a little bit.
- Bake: Bake for 35-40 minutes in a 350 degree preheated oven. When they’re done, take them out and let them cool completely (for about an hour).
- Prepare the Chocolate Ganache: (skip this step for the naked version) In a small saucepan, heat cream and butter until just before the boiling stage. Pour over the chocolate chips. Let sit for about 30 seconds. Stir until smooth. I found that whisking the mixture with a fork worked great to get the chocolate chips melted and the ganache smooth. Pour ganache over the brownies and let set before cutting.
Please enjoy these other sweet chocolate treats from The Kitchen is My Playground ...