Loaded with fresh apples, iced with boiled caramel topping, and studded with crunchy pecans, Old-Fashioned Apple Cake is one stunningly delicious apple dessert. But hey, if it happens to grace your breakfast plate too, rest assured we won't judge.
CLICK HERE TO PIN THIS FOR LATER
CLICK HERE TO PIN THIS FOR LATER
Oh, it's apple season! I just love to cook and bake with apples, and I know so many of you do, too. From sweet to savory, breakfast to dessert, apples are so versatile and lend themselves beautifully to so many dishes. It's no wonder they're one of our favorites to cook with and enjoy.
Which is exactly why 10 other blogger friends and I teamed up today for an "Apple Challenge" to each bring you a scrumptious apple recipe. Be sure to see the list of all 11 "Apple Challenge" recipes at the end of this post and click around to visit the other bloggers' recipes. There's so much deliciousness to see!
For my "Apple Challenge" recipe, I decided to go the baking route since I love to bake so much. And also because apples are just so darn tasty in baked goods.
I turned to my family cookbook for inspiration, and decided our family-favorite Old-Fashioned Apple Cake would be the perfect thing to make.
Now with this Old-Fashioned Apple Cake, it's one of those cakes that gets more flavorful and moist as it sits.
So if it seems drier than you'd like if you cut into it shortly after it comes out of the oven, never fear. As it sits, it seems the natural moistness and flavor of the fresh apples infuse into the cake somehow. I recommend making the cake the day before you plan to serve it, if possible, for increased apple flavor and a more moist, tender cake.
Go grab those fresh Fall apples and whip up this delicious dessert. And hey, if your house is anything like ours, Old-Fashioned Apple Cake may just grace your breakfast plates, too. Rest assured, we won't judge.
We invite you to follow The Kitchen is My Playground with Google+, Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, bloglovin', or subscribe by Email. We'd love to have you back soon!
Old-Fashioned Apple CakeIngredients
For the apples:
- 3 c. peeled & chopped fresh apples
- 2 T. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 c. canola oil
- 3/4 c. unsweetened applesauce
- 2 c. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 c. chopped pecans
- 1/2 c. (1 stick) butter
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. evaporated milk
- pinch salt
- 1/4 to 1/3 c. chopped pecans
- FOR THE APPLES: Combine chopped apples, 2 tablespoons sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl; toss to coat apples. Set aside.
- FOR THE CAKE: Beat eggs, 2 cups sugar, canola oil, and applesauce together with an electric mixer at medium speed. Add vanilla extract.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Add dry ingredients to egg mixture. Beat on low speed until just combined. Gently fold in chopped apples and pecans.
- Pour batter into a greased 9x13-inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center come out clean.
- FOR THE TOPPING: Combine butter, brown sugar, evaporated milk, and pinch of salt in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a rolling boil, stirring frequently. Once boiling, cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour the hot topping evenly over the top of the cake while the cake is still warm. Sprinkle with 1/4 to 1/3 cup chopped pecans.
- Allow cake to cool before serving.
NOTE: This is one of those cakes that gets more flavorful and moist as it sits. Make the day before you plan to serve it, if possible, for increased apple flavor and a more moist, tender cake.
Check out all the other delicious APPLE recipes below from bloggers who took part in our Apple Challenge.
- Easy Apple and Cranberry Roll Ups by Lovefoodies
- Old-Fashioned Apple Cake by The Kitchen is My Playground
- Overnight Apple Oatmeal with Praline Topping by Manila Spoon
- Apple Pie Cupcakes by Num's the Word
- Apple Pecan Dump Cake by Blessed Beyond Crazy
- Homemade chocolate apples by Culinary Ginger
- Overnight Streusel Apple Cinnamon French Toast by Noshing With The Nolands
- Apple Crumb Cake by Life Currents
- Apple Fritter Cake by Who Needs A Cape?
- Slow Cooker Brown Sugar Sausage, Apples and Onions by Hot Eats and Cool Reads
- Caramel Apple Cobbler by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
Please enjoy these other tasty cake recipes from The Kitchen is My Playground ...
Affiliate links are included in this post. I receive a small amount of compensation for anything purchased from these links, at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting The Kitchen is My Playground when you shop at Amazon.com and cherryBLOX!