Who doesn't love a hot and hearty bowl of chili? This one's spiced just right with the wonderful flavors of chili powder and ground cumin.
Hey, what's more satisfying and body-warming than a hearty bowl of chili? Not much, I say.
But when it comes to chili, I have a confession to make. For the looooooongggest time I made my chili with one of those store-bought little envelopes of chili seasoning.
Now, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that ... but once I discovered how easy it is to throw together my own chili seasoning, and how much more flavorful my own chili mix is ... well, there was no turning back.
The result of this spicing blend is a really nice mix of cumin and chili powder that gives the chili medium-heat. It's spicy-with-a-hint-of-cumin-sweetness ... and I love that..
Now to quote my friend's Mom, who used to make this for us on bitter cold football-watching Albany, NY winter days, "You can't have too much garlic powder or too many onions in this!" But, as I've found out the hard way, it's best not to monkey with the other seasonings in this recipe ... other amounts just don't taste nearly as good as the original.
I guess some combinations are just meant to be left alone!
Eaten as-is, as a condiment spooned over some hot dogs, or heaped with traditional chili toppings like sour cream, shredded cheddar, chopped onions, crumbled tortilla chips, or crushed Saltine crackers ... this is one hearty chili that's perfect for filling and satisfying bellies.
And, to my friend Kate ... if you're reading ... know that I think about you and your Mom every time I cook this. Love and miss you both!
We invite you to follow The Kitchen is My Playground with Google+, Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, bloglovin', or subscribe by Email. We'd love to have you back soon!
Source: My friend Kate & her Mom
- 1 lb. ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped (add more, if you'd like! I usually do.)
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 (15 oz.) cans dark red kidney beans
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 T. chili powder
- 1 T. ground cumin
- 1 T. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 T. white vinegar
- Drain and rinse kidney beans.
- Brown ground beef or turkey, onion, salt, pepper, and garlic powder together in a large saucepan. (Note - when using ground turkey, I put a small splash of olive oil in the pan. Since ground turkey has so little fat, it may stick to the pan without the olive oil splash.)
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer over medium-low to low heat for 1 hour.
- Serve as-is, or with a sprinkling of grated cheddar cheese, dollop of sour cream, crumbled tortilla chips, crushed Saltine crackers, and/or chopped onions.
Please enjoy these other hearty "bowls" from The Kitchen is My Playground...
This post is linked with MMM Block Party, Amaze Me Monday, Inspiration Monday, What's Cookin' Wednesday, Thursday Favorite Things, Party Time!, Full Plate Thursday, Creativity Unleashed, The Creative Exchange, FoodieFriDIY, Foodie Friday, Freedom Fridays, Weekend Potluck, Best of the Weekend.