Add pizazz to your Margaritas with Homemade Citrus Syrup / Margarita Mix ~ freshly made, delicious, and quite possibly the foundation of the best margarita around, thanks to Emeril's Fresh & Fierce Margarita recipe!
There are oh so many delicious ways to enjoy margaritas. How to take yours is truly a matter of personal preference - On the rocks, straight up, or frozen. Classic with lime or flavored with other fruits like mango or strawberry. Salt or no salt. Bottled mix or fresh-made.
As for me?
I take mine straight up with fresh lime ... no bottled mixes involved!
Not that there's anything wrong with bottled mixes. Nope, nothing wrong at all. Skipping them is just my personal preference.
And did you know you can make your own lime-based margarita citrus syrup right at home? Thanks to this base recipe from Emeril Lagassi, you sure can!
And let me just tell you, it's soooooooo good.
And not hard at all.
To make homemade citrus syrup / margarita mix, first prepare a tablespoon each of lime and lemon zest. Then combine the zests in a saucepan with some sugar, fresh lime juice, fresh lemon juice, pineapple juice, and a touch of water, stirring over medium heat until the sugar fully dissolves.
Cool the citrus syrup / margarita mix to room temperature and pour through a small colander to strain out the zest.
And there you have it ...
You've now got freshly made homemade citrus syrup / margarita mix that puts those bottled mixes to shame! Conveniently, the citrus syrup can be made in advance and stored in a covered container in the refrigerator, too.
When you're ready to mix your margaritas, simply chill your glasses in the freezer for 15 minutes or so. Then, salt your glasses by moistening the rims with a lime wedge and dipping them in coarse salt.
Next, fill a cocktail shaker about half full with ice. Pour in the homemade citrus syrup / margarita mix, good quality white tequila, and Triple Sec and shake it all up until the ingredients are well chilled. Shaking for a full 30 seconds to 1 minute is recommended for the proper chill, so keep that shaker going! Pour the mixture into your prepared glasses and garnish on the side with lime wedges.
Then get ready to enjoy one of the best margaritas around - straight up, classic, and fresh ... complete with your very own homemade citrus syrup / margarita mix.
We invite you to follow The Kitchen is My Playground with Google+, Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, bloglovin', or subscribe by Email. We'd love to have you back soon!
Emeril's Fresh & Fierce Margaritas with Homemade Citrus Syrup / Margarita MixIngredients
- 3/4 c. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 c. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 c. pineapple juice
- 1/4 c. water
- 1/3 c. granulated sugar
- 1 T. lime zest
- 1 T. lemon zest
- 1 c. white tequila
- 3/4 c. Trip Sec
- lime wedges
- coarse or kosher salt
- FOR THE CITRUS SYRUP: Combine lime juice, lemon juice, pineapple juice, water, sugar, and zests in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Cool to room temperature and strain out zests. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator until ready to prepare margaritas.
- FOR SALTED RIMS: Place salt in a shallow dish. Moisten the rim of each glass with a lime wedge and dip each rim in the salt. Set aside.
- FOR MARGARITAS: Fill a cocktail shaker about half full with ice. Add the cooled citrus syrup, tequila, and Triple Sec. Shake until well chilled, about 1 minute.
- Pour into prepared glasses and garnish with lime wedges.
Makes 4 margaritas, and about 1 cup citrus syrup