I have yet to meet a potato salad I don't like. I'm a carb-a-holic, you see, and potatoes definitely fall in the yummy carb category for me. And one of my absolute favorite potato salads is vinegar-based German Potato Salad.
No mayo? ... no problem! The tang of the vinegar dressing is so tasty with the potatoes.
Oohhhhhhhh, bacon and potatoes ... so good.
My husband is of German descent. His mother grew up in Germany and came to the United States when she was 17 years old, settling in the town in which my husband grew up.
She and my husband refer to this version of German Potato Salad as "Rich Man's German Potato Salad" ... 'cause it has all kinds of 'stuff' in it ... like bacon ... and chopped pickles ... and scallions ... and celery ... and fresh parsley.
My mother-in-law makes a simpler version that we call "Poor Man's German Potato Salad." It is simply potatoes and very thinly sliced onion dressed with vinegar, salt, and pepper. And it's sooooo good, too.
You can serve this salad either warm or chilled. But we prefer it chilled to give the potatoes some time to absorb some of the vinegar. It makes it extra good that way.
But when it comes to the variety ... rich man's ... poor man's ... it really doesn't matter to me which version of German Potato Salad I get. As long as I get that yummy combination of vinegar and potatoes, my carb-monster is happy!
We invite you to follow The Kitchen is My Playground with Google+, Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, bloglovin', or Feedburner. We'd love to have you back soon!
German Potato Salad
Source: A family friend
- 2 lbs. potatoes, unpeeled
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 baby dill pickles
- 2 scallions, white and green parts
- 1/3 c. white vinegar
- 3 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 4 T. chopped fresh parsley
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Boil potatoes until tender when pierced with a fork. (Cooking times will vary based on the size and variety of your potatoes.) Cool slightly until potatoes are cool enough to handle; chop into 1/2-inch cubes. Place warm cubed potatoes in a large bowl.
- Chop celery, pickles, and scallions. Add celery, pickles, scallions, and crumbled bacon to the potatoes and gently mix to combine.
- Place vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika, and parsley in a jar or small bowl. Shake or whisk until thoroughly combined. Pour over potato mixture while potatoes are still warm. Toss gently to coat.
- Serve warm or chilled.
This post is linked with Weekend Bloggy Reading, Weekend Potluck, What's Shakin', Tickled Pink, Pity Party, Strut Your Stuff Saturday, Sweet & Savory Saturdays, Creativity Linky Party, Saturday Show & Tell, Nifty Thrifty Sunday, Sundae Scoop, Monday Funday, Marvelous Mondays, Make the Scene Monday, Sunday Showcase Party, Time to Sparkle, The Scoop, Tuesday Talent Show, Lil' Luna Link Party, Inspiration Exchange, Cast Party Wednesday, Whimsy Wednesday, Thursday's Treasures, Your Creative Timeout Party, Tutorials Tips & Tidbits.