Buffalo Chicken Pizza ~ all the great taste of traditional Buffalo chicken wings ... without the mess!
My good-ol'-southern-boy husband wasn't familiar with Buffalo wings, nor was he into eating spicy foods (horror!), until he met me. I'm happy to say that I have corrupted him. He now loves Buffalo wings, and I swear would put jalapenos in everything if I'd let him. So, here's one of our favorite foods turned into pizza!
Because that's what I like to do with our favorite foods ... turn them into pizza.
Cook up some bite-sized chicken pieces, and then marinate them in classic Buffalo sauce - for me, a mixture of Frank's RedHot cayenne pepper sauce and melted butter. I love Frank's the best.
While the chicken marinates, get your crust ready and top it with blue cheese dressing as your sauce.
Now, as you can see in the photo below, my entire crust is not topped with blue cheese dressing.
Why, you ask? Because as I was beginning to spread the blue cheese dressing, Mark walked into the kitchen and declared that he didn't like blue cheese with his Buffalo wings, so he didn't want blue cheese on the pizza.
Well, all-righty then ... Plan B put into action for 1/2 of the pizza - I brushed that 1/2 with some of the Buffalo sauce that the chicken was marinating in. Crisis averted. Oh - and an experimental "test condition" set up! If you're a frequent reader of this blog, you know that I love that ... love putting different combinations and versions together in head-to-head taste tests!
So, hmmmm, which version will be better??
Mark had to eat his words!
The blue cheese sauce was amazing, and way better than the Buffalo sauce. There's just something about the classic combination of Buffalo sauce and blue cheese! And if you want to be really traditional, serve this pizza with some extra blue cheese dressing with carrot and celery sticks for dipping. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.
We invite you to follow The Kitchen is My Playground with Google+, Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, bloglovin', or subscribe by Email. We'd love to have you back soon!
Buffalo Chicken PizzaIngredients
- Pizza dough (homemade or store-bought dough ball; click here to read more about pizza dough)
- Blue cheese dressing (make your own with my favorite recipe, or use bottled if you'd like)
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 to 2 T. olive oil
- 1/3 c. Frank's RedHot cayenne pepper sauce
- 4 T. butter
- Shredded mozzarella
- Prepare blue cheese dressing, if using homemade. Refrigerate dressing while you prepare the rest of the pizza.
- Heat olive oil in a saute pan; saute chicken until cooked through. While chicken is cooking, melt butter and combine with the Frank's RedHot sauce in a medium-sized bowl. Once chicken is cooked through, combine it with the butter/RedHot sauce mixture; toss to coat the chicken well. Marinate the chicken for about 15 minutes.
- While chicken is marinating, prepare your pizza crust. Roll pizza dough out to desired size; place on preheated pizza stone or baking sheet. Spread a layer of blue cheese dressing over the crust for sauce. Top with marinated chicken, then sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 425 degrees for about 20-25 minutes, or until crust is cooked through and the cheese is bubbly and beginning to get golden brown.
You might also like ...